The Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP), is a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of analytical chemistry through science education.
The SACP was organized in 1942 by a group of chief chemists and research analysts to provide an interchange of ideas, develop solutions to problems in analytical chemistry, and to encourage sociability among practitioners of the same profession.
In 1945, this society became affiliated with the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) as its Analytical Group. Its first Analytical Symposium on problems of current interest was held on February 6, 1946, with interest and participation in these symposia showing growth. In 1949, the first exposition of Modern Laboratory Equipment was held in conjunction with the symposium.
Since 1950, the SACP has been a co-sponsor along with her sister society – the Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) – of Pittcon, the world’s largest annual conference and exposition on laboratory science. The society currently has over 400 members.
The SACP is dedicated to the education of the membership, of the community and of the future scientists in our schools. By educating the children and the community, a new generation is being prepared to meet the future. Continuing Education helps to keep the members current with new technologies, instrumentation and methods. The society provides awards, scholarships and grants both locally and nationally.
Members are involved in joint endeavors with the Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP), the Pittsburgh Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS), and The Pittsburgh Conference and Exposition on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (Pittcon).